Location: South East Europe – West of Balkan Peninsula
Land: 25.713 km2
Neighbors: Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Albania, Kosovo
- Prehistoric Macedonia – Neolith 5000 – 2000 BC.
- Ancient Macedonia – unification – Alexander III 336-323 BC
- Roman Macedonia II c. BC - IV c. AD, Byzantium V-VI c
- Slavic settling – VI Early medieval period
- Cyril & Methodius, Clement &Naum – Christianity
- Byzantium, Bulgaria, Serbia fight for dominance
- Ottoman Rule XV c. – XX c.
- Division of Macedonia (Balkan wars 1912 – WWI -1914-1918)
- Republic of Macedonia (1945 federal Yugoslavia, 1991 independent)
- Modern country – Awaiting NATO and EU accession
Cradle of culture and nature
- Archaeological Legacy – 5.000 sites with original materials and spiritual rarities
- Prehistory sights:Kokino, CocevKamen, Bay of Bones, TumbaMadzari
- Ancient cities:Stobi, Heraclea, Skupi, Lychnidos, Bargala, Stibera...
- Gate of Christianity for Europe – 992 churches and monasteries,
150 000 m2fresco paintings, 22 855 icons and 240 iconostasis
- Link with the Orient – Ottoman heritage - 228 mosques, inns, Turkish Baths and Old Bazaars, 47 Towers and Fortresses Country of Old Crafts & Live TraditionsResidence of Hospitable People and Exquisite Cuisine
- Beautiful landscape – Untouched Nature
- Active tourism – 3 National Parks
- Winter – Ski Resorts: Mavrovo, Kozuf, Popova Shapka
- Land of Lakes: 50 Lakes - Ohrid Lake, Prespa Lake, Dojran Lake etc.
- Best Wine Region in the Balkans – Tikvesh region
SKOPJE - the capital city of Macedonia
Skopje is the capital of the Republic of Macedonia, in the center of the Balkan Peninsula, at the crossroad of important communications, a city with a 2000 years old tradition. Over time it has experienced Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman rule. The 15th-century Stone Bridge connects the Ottoman Old Bazaar on the Vardar River‘s north bank with contemporary Macedonia Square to the south. The Skopje Fortress overlooking the river has defended the city for centuries.
Skopje is a modern city with population of almost one million and presents Macedonia’s major political, economical, educational and cultural center. It continues to be a focus for new residents, economic development, construction and refurbishment.
Skopje also is a very attractive tourist destination with its fortress, cultural and historical monuments, archaeological sites, sport halls, caves in the canyon of the River Treska and Lake Matka and a health spa in the eastern part of the city.
Skopje, the city of Culture is waiting to uncover to you its ageless charm.
Skopje- places to visit
- Millennium Cross
- Old Bazaar
- Canyon "Matka"
- Fortress "Kale"
- Memorial house of Mother Teresa